Sunday, July 7, 2013

Spartan Sundays

this was before he got his jersey, Go Daddy!

Back in April, Ruben joined his co-worker’s baseball team. Honestly, I’m surprised he didn’t join some kind of weekend sport sooner! They have games every Sunday and occasionally the team will practice or go to the batting cages together. Ruben joined at the end of a season so he only played in 3 games before their Summer season started. Since the new season, they’ve played 4 games and have won 2. Ruben has been doing really well and is now batting 1st! All of their games are in Carson at various parks and are usually at 8am, 11am or 2pm. If he has an 8am game, Riley, Andi and I usually stay home because I don’t like having to wake up two sleeping (and cranky) babies! We did it once, and it did not work out very well.

Keeping a toddler and a baby occupied for 2 ½ hours/9 innings is a job, in and of itself. It’s taken trial and error, but I’ve worked out a good system- I usually pack a lunch bag full of snacks for Riley to have while we’re there and she will sit in her stroller and watch Ruben play/eat her snacks/play with whatever toys we bring. If the playground is close to the baseball field, I will take her over and let her play for a while and then we’ll go back and wait for the game to end. 90% of the time, Andi will sit in her car seat and play with her toys and I will also sit her on my lap and she’ll hang out with us until she gets tired. I will also carry her in our Ergo if I feel that’ll be easier. This past time I actually tried something new and put Andi in the stroller to play with her toys and let Riley sit next to me on the bleachers. It worked for Andi, but Riley was all over the place which made it hard for me to watch both of them. Lucky for me, our friend Azalea (Ruben's co-worker's girlfriend) is there every Sunday so she always helps me out with my two little rascals. Thank you, Azalea!!

It’s been fun to watch Ruben do something he enjoys and support him/cheer him on during his games. I also love how it has become a “family routine” every week, and Riley always looks forward to going to the park to “watch Daddy play baseball”. It’s cute to watch her try and talk to Ruben while he’s playing and she’ll even yell from the stands “Go Daddy!” or “Come on, JR!” Hahaha!

Good luck, Spartans!

No comments: