Thursday, September 19, 2013

Babes To Butterflies: Riley's Developmental Program!

Don't be fooled by the title, Riley is a perfect 3 year old and she is wise beyond her, few, years. But being at home all the time with Andi & I can get a little boring for a toddler, and she doesn't get much interaction with other kids her age or especially an authority figure other than family members.
In August, my mom asked if she could take Riley to a class that was available for kids around Riley's age while my brother went to tutoring. She said that it was a developmental class where they would learn things like numbers, letters, shapes, and even beginning writing. Riley knew most of these things, so I thought it would be worth a shot and my only concern was if she would behave. I didn't know how she would do in a setting where she would have to follow instructions from a stranger (it is a drop off class so she wouldn't have my mom or I there) and not try and get into things, so I was kind of worried for her 1st day. My mom took her while I stayed home with Andi & Amelia- I was little disappointed that I wasn't able to take her to her 1st day of "school" but she was really excited and I knew she would enjoy herself, so that made me feel better. She came back home with all of her papers and proud smile showing me what she learned in "school" that day. I was so proud of her for doing such a great job and staying alone, and following instructions from the teacher!

Since then, she's been improving so much! She's only had 1 day where she didn't listen to the teacher that well, but she's been a really good "student". She now goes 3 days a week (M-W) for an hour and a half, and looks forward to Donut Day on her last day. Now that I don't watch Mila anymore, I can take her 2 of the days and my mom takes her the other. She has definitely improved in tracing her letters, and matching pictures that are the same/opposite. She also has been singing the days of the week at home while she plays with her toys, which is awesome because I've tried to teach her that before and she didn't quite catch on.

Her teacher always has positive feedback for us when we pick her up, and says that Riley is very studious and always gets her work done. She also likes to play with the toys in the classroom before and after their class.

We're so proud of you, Riley! You're such a big girl!!!!

how cute and little she looks in her chair!

1 comment:

randy said...

Hi, Nice blog thanks for sharing. Would it be okay to contact you through your email? Please email me back.
Thanks!
Randy
randydavis387 gmail.com